“My website is broken!” – it’s something that’s been said on more than one occasion, but there is always an answer for things that go wrong.
Here are a few tips on what to do if your website appears to be “broken” (or down)!
1. Start small: Clear your browser’s cache, or try on another browser.
2. It may seem simple, but also try the old favourite of turning your router off and then back on again, or even your computer. A reboot can do wonders – that’s why I need a good 8 hours sleep a night.
3. Get someone to check on another PC or try checking on another broadband connection, as a lot of ‘disappearing’ websites can happen when Internet Service Providers do not clear their cache very often. This can be very frustrating, especially if everyone in the world can see your site yet you can’t!
4. Ensure that your website domain name has NOT expired, and has the correct DNS name servers are pointing to the correct web server, you can check this by using a WHOIS service.
5. Failing that, check with your hosting company – problems do occur and they should normally look into it for you as a matter of course.